Thursday, February 13, 2014

Buffalo Mac n Cheese

I had this all typed up a few days ago and then the babies woke up. By the time I got back to it, the whole page was wiped. Note to self: don't blog from the iPad if you aren't 100% sure you can finish it in one sitting.

Anyways, I came up with a new variation on my standard Mac n Cheese recipe when my husband came home with ground chicken instead of ground beef, and I was kinda like "what the heck do I do with ground chicken?". Buffalo Mac n Cheese. Cheesy, creamy, a little spicy... So good. Because I'm like, the worst food blogger ever, I forgot to take a picture. Hopefully next time I make some, I'll remember to snap a quick photo and add it here. But for now, here's the recipe!

Buffalo Mac n Cheese

1lb ground chicken
4 cups macaroni noodles (or small shells)
1/2 onion, diced
2 tbsp oil
6 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Buffalo wing sauce
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder

1. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until done. Add in your diced onion and continue cooking until translucent. Toss mixture with as much (or as little) wing sauce as you'd like and pour into a casserole dish. Set aside.

2. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add pasta and cook according to package directions.

3. While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour, whisking constantly for a few minutes, until the roux has slightly darkened. Pour in chicken broth and milk, whisking occasionally until it begins to thicken. Little by little, add in 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese, whisking well until fully melted and incorporated. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.

4. After pasta has been drained, pour into casserole dish with the chicken mixture. Pour cheese sauce over top, mix it up real well so that everything is fully coated in cheesy goodness. 

5. Top with remaining cheese and stick it under the broiler for a few minutes until its all melty and gooey and wonderful.

6. Enjoy!

 photo 3mommiessig_zps86cc38de.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment