Monday, August 12, 2013

Uses for Temporary Tattoos! - By Mommy Melissa

A few months back, I was contacted by the lovely Hannah from Tattoo Manufacturing, an American made tattoo manufacturing company. She asked if we would do a blog collaboration with her using their tattoos. I was so excited when the package arrived and wanted to get started right away! Here are my favourites!

When people think of temporary tattoos, they think they have one use. A temporary tattoo! Well I am going to show you that the uses for them are actually endless. With a little imagination and some creative thinking you can decorate and personalize many things. 

My first thought was to decorate some fruits. I know it sounds a little odd but think of your child's reaction when they open their lunch bag at school and find a banana decorated with their favourite characters! It makes lunch time fun! Its super easy to do and takes no time at all. You simply have to wipe the fruit clean and dry then place your tattoo on it, hold it down in place with a wet cloth for around 30 seconds, peel it off and voila! a banana rocking some new ink! I suggest only using fruits such as oranges and bananas as the peels will be removed and discarded. 

Another project I came up with was to decorate my cell phone case. I chose my favourite tattoos out of a pack of sparkly ones (sparkle is always better!). Make sure your work surface is clean and dry. Cut the tattoo as close to the picture as possible so there is not too much glue visible once the backing is removed. Then hold a wet cloth on for a good 40 seconds. Peel the backing off very carefully. Then pat dry with a paper towel. Let it dry completely then cover with Mod Podge. Be sure to let it dry over night before using it. I have had the tattoos on my case now for over a week and there has been no visible ware. Its pretty cool actually!! If you are not completely happy with the design, you can remove it by washing it with warm water and soap. If that does not work, nail polish remover takes it off perfectly. I know this for a fact because my first attempt looked a little odd, so I redid it. 
Another project I came up with was to decorate my cell phone case. I chose my favourite tattoos out of a pack of sparkly ones (sparkle is always better!). Make sure your work surface is clean and dry. Cut the tattoo as close to the picture as possible so there is not too much glue visible once the backing is removed. Then hold a wet cloth on for a good 40 seconds. Peel the backing off very carefully. Then pat dry with a paper towel. Let it dry completely then cover with Mod Podge. Be sure to let it dry over night before using it. I have had the tattoos on my case now for over a week and there has been no visible ware. Its pretty cool actually!! If you are not completely happy with the design, you can remove it by washing it with warm water and soap. If that does not work, nail polish remover takes it off perfectly. I know this for a fact because my first attempt looked a little odd, so I redid it. 

                                   
Test layout
Cover with mod podge


Final Product! Super happy with it!
Since I have a toddler and a nearly one year old, there are always baby food jars kicking around. I keep them thinking that I could make something with them. But really they just pile up until I decide no I'm never going to use them, then just throw them away. Well, I found a use! You will need baby food jars with lids (clean and labels removed), muffin liners, ribbon, and of course, your temporary tattoos. First make sure the tattoos will fit on the jar. Cut them close as you can to the image then place them on the jar with a damp cloth. Make sure when you peel the back to be very careful. These were the hardest to place, as the glass is very smooth. Once the image is on, dab with a damp cloth to make sure there are no bubbles. Then pat dry very softly. I covered the lids with a muffin liner, tucking it in as I went around. Now you can fill it with candy or what ever you would like. I filled mine with jelly beans and jubjubes! Finally, close the lid and tie a ribbon around the neck of the jar. I also used double sided tape to place a tattoo on top of the lid to add an extra little bonus. Now you have a cute little party favour perfect for birthdays and showers! 




This idea was actually my husbands and I admit, it turned out pretty sweet! Cover your light switch plate with them! Use the same steps as the others, being sure to peel it off slow. Now I think he regrets telling me this as our bedroom light switch is all decked out in hearts, stars and rainbows! 


The last project didn't turn out how I pictured it but it was still really fun. My aunt hosts a 'Fairy Tale Ball' camping party nearly every year out in the country. This year I decided to do a Royal Tattoo Parlour. Well, it rained and rained all week end. I moved the parlour into the trailer and did it there instead the next day to stay out of the rain. The girls had a riot picking out there tattoos and putting them on. One of them nearly had a tattoo sleeve of princesses and Lala Loopsies! I also gave them an envelope to fill with extra tattoos to take home for a later day.





One of the best experience with the temporary tattoos had to be with my son and nephew. They both love to show them off to everyone! They both even try to say tattoo, its so cute sounds like 'toooos"! 


I would like to take the time now and thank Hannah once again. Thank you so much for this opportunity and sending the tattoos. It was so much fun! Not just for me, but my kids, nieces and cousins as well! Thank you!

I invite everyone to go to their website and check it out! There are so many designs to choose from and all at a great price! Click here to take you there! 

By Mommy Melissa 

 photo 3mommiessig_zps86cc38de.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment