Friday, October 18, 2013

Pinterest Challenge - Slow Cooker Apple Crisp


After going apple picking a few weeks back, I am still looking for ideas to use my never ending crisper drawer full of apples. Since baking is quite stressful with the kids pulling at me, breaking things, spilling things, fighting, etc. I loved the idea of just throwing everything into a crock-pot and letting that do the work for me! I substituted pumpkin pie spice for the nutmeg in hopes that it would give it more of a fall taste.
After about an hour of it cooking, my home smelled wonderful! Like fresh apple pies had been baking in my house all day!
Here is how it is done. 
(full recipe at bottom)
You prepare a flour/oat mixture as well as an apple/sugar mix.

Apples go in, then flour mix, then butter on top.
Bake for 3-4 hours on high.

There are a few things that I would change the next time I make this. One being to not use my little slow cooker. The crisp part on top ended up being too thick. Using the larger slow cooker would thin it out, giving it a better crisp. The other would be to lower the cooking time to about 2-3 hours. Other than those minor things, it tasted wonderful! This was a Pin Win! 

Here is the full recipe (or click here to go to the original pin)

6 cups of apples. Peeled, cored and sliced
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I used pumpkin pie spice)
1 1/4 cup flour
1 cup oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnut pieces (I had none)
1 stick of butter, sliced.

1. Grease your slow cooker.
2. Mix apples with sugar and spices. Put into crock pot.
3. In another bowl, combine the flour, oats brown sugar and nuts if you are using them. Pour onto apples.
4. Place the slices of butter on top of the flour and oat mixture.
5. Cook on high for 3-4 hours. Remove lid for the last 15-20 minutes to let the top crisp.

What is your best fall recipe to use apples in? We would love to hear. 

By Mommy Melissa 

 photo 3mommiessig_zps86cc38de.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment